Your diet controls your health. So, whether you like it or not, but the way you look and feel is majorly dependent on the food you eat and the diet you take. Apart from consuming fruits and vegetables, one must learn to cut down on various animal proteins because they contain large amounts of unhealthy fats, calories and cholesterol. Hence the question arises as to where can one fulfill the body’s protein requirements? The answer lies in a tiny, little vegetable that has been neglected for many generations. Peas. Despite being so small-sized, the peas have emerged as an exceptional source of protein.
Pea Protein Powder
This is a rich supplement of protein and iron in one’s diet that withholds numerous benefits. Pea protein powder is made by extracting protein from yellow peas that are followed by dehydration of the extracted powder. Hence, it makes an excellent choice for all people and age groups, because it is plant-based, vegan and hypoallergenic. Moreover, it aids in muscle building, weight loss, heart health and arises as an effective source of iron in the body.
Pea Protein or Whey Powder?
A lot of consumers of protein powder normally find it hard to decide between whey powder or pea protein powder. The answer is pretty obvious. Whey powder is derived from milk hence it must not be consumed by lactose-intolerant people. Pea powder, on the other hand, is vegan and free from allergens being a plant derivative. Pea protein helps in weight loss much faster than whey and it is cholesterol-free as well. Thus, it comes as a safe substitute for animal proteins. Also, whey powder is less concentrated (23g in 30g scoop) than pea protein (having 25g in 30g scoop).
Benefits of Pea Protein Powder
Pea protein powder contains all the essential amino acids which the body cannot synthesize and must be provided through diet. This is why it comes as a rich source of iron, arginine, protein and does not contain allergens like peanuts, eggs, fish, milk, etc. It is gluten-free and doesn't contain fats which is why it can be incorporated with every kind of diet. Moreover, it is easily absorbed and digested bringing a positive influence on your body. A few benefits of pea protein powder are:
- It is a rich source of protein because it has important branched and essential amino acids like arginine, valine, histidine, tryptophan, isoleucine, and leucine, thus serving as the building blocks for our body muscles and tissues. Animal protein can hence be avoided because pea protein provides all the necessary protein content. However, pea protein powder has a low quantity of methionine which must be taken through an organic diet.
- Pea protein powder is highly rich in iron. Thus, consumption with Vitamin C greatly induces the absorption of iron in the body. It can prevent anemia in people by boosting the intake of this nutrient.
- Because of the large supply of amino acids, it works in building muscle mass and assisting in muscle repair. Proteins are the most important component of the muscles in our body; hence pea powder will not only improve muscle strength, but the amino acids will repair and form a layer of muscle mass in case of wear and tear.
- Foods with high protein content give you a full stomach even after eating just a little amount. In this way, pea protein powder regulates eating cycles and promotes weight loss, firstly because it does not have cholesterol and secondly because eating habits are restricted due to the feeling of fullness.
The reduction of cholesterol is another significant benefit of pea protein. It increases the uptake of cholesterol by cells and consequently results in a decline of body fats. This greatly reduces the risk of heart attacks. Pea powder, being a source of branched amino acids, improves blood flow and heart health.
- Many animal proteins are hard to digest and can turn out to be pretty rough on the kidneys. They can also lead to gastrointestinal problems, gassiness, bloating, etc. However, the protein extracted from peas has proven to be really gentle on the kidney and ultimately results in improved renal functioning and prevention of kidney problems and pain.
Pea protein powder is a beneficial protein supplement that elevates the protein content in the diet, shakes, etc. It is fluffy in texture with a nuttier taste that suits most taste buds. Pea protein has grown to be a popular choice since it provides greater nutrients from its organic state and is easy to digest and absorb.