While most sweet substances aren’t at all healthy for you, there is one that you can eat that not only tastes great, but also offers a lot of health benefits. It is honey and it tastes good on everything from toast to oatmeal, even pleasing the taste buds when it is drizzled over some fruit with a little bit of cinnamon sprinkled on top.
What health benefits does it offer? Medical Daily reports that honey:
- Eases allergies. If you suffer with any type of seasonal allergies, eating honey regularly can often provide you some relief. The reason it works so well isn’t quite so clear. Some health experts suggest that it is honey’s anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial while others feel that the little bit of pollen the honey contains actually helps you become immune to the allergens slowly over time.
- Soothes sore throats. Honey’s anti-inflammatories also help soothe sore throats, coating them and alleviating bothersome coughs. Take two tablespoons prior to bedtime and you should sleep all night long.
- Enhances memory. Honey contains a lot of antioxidants, making it a great food to eat if you want to boost brain power. In fact, some studies have found that eating four teaspoons of honey daily can help boost your short-term memory.
- Stronger bones. The properties within honey make it healthy on its own, but they also make it easier for your body to absorb other nutrients as well. Calcium is one of them, which means that eating honey can also help give you stronger bones.
- Provides energy. Because honey is high in carbs, eating it provides you with the energy you need to not only make it through your day, but also through your workout too. If this is your goal, you want to consume it about 30 minutes prior to exercising.
What are some ways you enjoy eating your honey? Feel free to share your ideas in the comment section below!