How to Make New Year’s Resolutions Work
How many times have you made a New Year’s resolution only to let it slide after only a week or two (or even a day or two) into January? Are you wondering how others are able to keep and meet their resolutions?
The Keys to Resolution Success
Although you may have made the same resolution year after year, there are some things you can do that will help you meet your goal once and for all. They are:
- Make your goal specific. It isn’t enough to say that you want to “lose weight” or “gain muscle”. You have to know exactly how much you want to increase or decrease your weight or measurements.
- Set a deadline. If you don’t give yourself a date by which you want to have achieved your goal, you’re not likely to push yourself into making the changes necessary and probably will not see your dream come to pass.
- Focus on one change at a time. Most people try to completely overhaul their life on January 1st, but this is one of the quickest routes to failure you can take. Instead, change one thing at a time and you’re less apt to quit before reaching your goal.
- Create a plan. Walk into the New Year without a plan of how you’re going to reach your resolution and chances are you won’t. Create a timeline so that you know what changes you will implement and when. That way you’ll stay on track.
- Give yourself rewards. If you don’t plan to reward yourself until you’ve met your final goal, you’re probably not going to stick with the process for very long. So, set little milestones along the way and treat yourself once you meet them to keep yourself motivated and excited to move forward.