CrossFit is one of the best ways to get and stay in shape. However, it is far from easy as it taxes you both mentally and physically when you push yourself using its super intense functional fitness movements. That is why it is important to prepare to add CrossFit training to your workout routine, and here are five tips that can help you do just that:
- Focus on functional movements. When working out, think of exercises that mimic everyday activities such as picking up your child or lifting a pail of water. This helps prepare you for the type of movements you will experience in CrossFit.
- Increase your weight amounts slowly. It isn’t uncommon for some CrossFit exercises to use higher amounts of weight. This means that you can start to prepare for this fact by increasing your current weight amounts slowly, building up your muscles and getting them ready to endure a CrossFit routine.
- Engage in interval training. Because CrossFit has periods of intense exercise, engaging in interval training prior to actually doing it can help get your body used to pushing itself to the max for short bursts of time.
- Try a few CrossFit WODs. WODs are CrossFit workouts of the day, so go online and find some to try as doing short sessions initially can help you build up to longer and more intense full CrossFit routines.
- Learn to listen to your body. You will likely be pushing your body harder than you ever have before when doing CrossFit, so learning to listen to what it is telling you is key to avoiding injuries or overtraining issues. If something doesn’t feel right, either modify it or do something else.
Follow these five tips and you will be better prepared to participate in CrossFit training. Feel free to add additional tips in the comment field below to help others who are new to CrossFit and looking for some advice!