The Key to Exercising Safely Outside this Summer
The summer months are a great time to exercise outdoors and get some fresh air while pushing your body to the max. However, leaving your temperature controlled home gym or other inside workout area also means taking extra precautions to ensure that you’re exercising safely.
With that thought in mind, here are a few things to consider implementing when you’re taking your exercise routine outside:
- Stay hydrated. Because you’re no longer in an air conditioned environment or working out in front of a fan, it is important that you keep your body properly hydrated. This means drinking before, during, and after your workouts so that your muscles and organs get the fluids they need to function. If it is really hot and/or you are sweating a lot, you also want to consume a sports drink or something with electrolytes in it to replenish your cells fully.
- Wear moisture wicking clothes. Getting the sweat off your body as quickly as possible is key not only to keeping you comfortable, but also to helping you with higher levels of hygiene. For this reason, you want to wear moisture wicking clothes, keeping you as dry as you can be as you exercise in the great outdoors.
- Wear bright and reflective colors. If you’re going walking, jogging, running, or biking on a road or path that has motor vehicles on it, you want to wear clothing that is brightly colored and reflective. This makes you easier to see and can keep you from getting hit.
- Dress in layers. Head outside in the early morning and you’ll likely want a sweatshirt because it is cooler. However, once you’re warmed up and the sun starts to rise, short sleeves are generally more comfy. Therefore, dressing in layers allows you to react to both your body heat and the heat outside in a way that makes your outdoors activity more enjoyable.
- Wear sunscreen. Even if the sun isn’t out, its rays can still damage your skin, making wearing sunscreen important in the fight against skin cancer. Aim for one that is level 30 or above and be sure it is waterproof so it stays on even when you sweat.
These are just a few keys to exercising safely outside this summer. Feel free to add more below!
Sign up and save
Entice customers to sign up for your mailing list with discounts or exclusive offers.