5 Tools Everyone in the Running Industry Should Be Using
All professionals have tools that help them thrive in their field. For instance, construction workers have hammers and nails, landscapers have lawn mowers and trimming shears, and plumbers have wrenches and pipes. Well, those in the running industry are no exception. So, if this is you, here are five tools you should be using if you aren’t already:
- Training log. The only way you’ll ever know if your training program is helping your clients progress is if you keep track of their distances and times. This can be by pen and paper or by using an online tracker. Either way, you’ll be able to easily see if what they’re doing is working, or if you need to tweak their regimen to get better results.
- Heart rate monitor. In order to make your client’s runs safe yet effective, it’s critical to know what their heart rate is every step of the way. This makes a heart rate monitor a must-have tool they should use every time they hit the track or trails.
- Foam rollers. Because running can make muscles in the lower body and back tighten up, running coaches and pros should have foam rollers, massage sticks, and massage balls on hand to help their clients loosen up after a good run. This can help reduce soreness and injury, making these particular tools a win-win.
- Rehydration tools. You lose an awful lot of water when running, especially if it’s warm out, which makes rehydration imperative. A water bottle is of course the simplest hydration tool, but you might also consider recommending sports drinks if the runs are longer as electrolytes will need to be replaced as well.
- Proper running clothes. When running in cold weather, it’s important to stay warm and, when running in warm weather, it’s important to stay cool. Layering is necessary too as body temps fluctuate during the run. This makes proper running clothes a tool that every running expert should stress for clients participating in this sport as well.
Any that you use that aren’t on this list? Feel free to add them below!