Summer is great for spending time outdoors doing yard work and basking in the sun that has seemed to go missing all winter long. However, it is also barbeque season, which makes it wonderful for anyone that likes to have outdoor picnics complete with food, family, and fun.
If you’re having a barbeque, here are five healthy food options that will allow you to enjoy this favorite summer pastime without hurting your waistline:
- Corn on the cob. Nothing beats the taste of corn that is cooked in its husk right on the open flame. Just make sure you don’t douse it in butter and salt or you’ll undo all of the healthy goodness that it holds on its own.
- Bean salad. Get a good amount of protein as well as fiber when you put some of this colorful salad on your plate. The beans also contain antioxidants, vitamin B, and iron so eating them this summer is a good way to get a variety of nutrients that your body needs.
- Grilled chicken. Throw a boneless chicken breast on the grill and prepare to enjoy a healthy dose of protein that is smoked to perfection. Also, sprinkle it with different seasonings to give your taste buds a treat. Some to try include lemon pepper and sage.
- Hummus and veggies. Instead of having crisps and dip, eat veggies with hummus. That way, you can enjoy the crunch without having all of the additional fat and calories.
- Fresh fruit. If you like to end your meal with something sweet, some fresh fruit will do the trick. Cut up watermelon, cantaloupe, and strawberries and throw in a few blueberries and grapes for some additional colors, textures, and tastes.
Add these five foods to your summer barbeque menu and you’ll be able to stick to your healthy eating plan and lose weight – a great combination!