Top Springtime Vegetables
With springtime rapidly approaching, that also means that you will have greater access to a variety of vegetables that are loaded in vitamins and minerals essential to your health and wellness. Which ones are the best?
Here is a list of the top springtime veggies, as well as some ways that you can eat them that may be pleasing to your palette:
- Artichokes – Loaded in calcium, potassium, and phosphorus, artichokes help promote a healthy liver, better digestion, and lower blood sugar. Steam or grill them for a nutrient packed side dish, or add them to salads or stews for more bulk without a lot of extra calories.
- Asparagus – This green vegetable is high in vitamin K and folate, which makes it good for your bones and your heart. Cook it with a little bit of olive oil and season with a touch of sea salt and black pepper for a melt in your mouth flavor.
- Fennel – Fennel is a great springtime vegetable to consider as it contains a variety of different antioxidants, helping to decrease bodily inflammation and reduce your risk of cancer. Slice it vertically through the bulb and grill or sauté it with some onions, or put it on your sandwich for some additional flavor.
- Mustard Greens – Eating mustard greens can help you get your recommended daily allowance of vitamins A, C, and K, which also work to prevent damage on a cellular level, leaving you healthier as a result. Cook them on the stovetop with some chicken broth for additional flavor. Then top with olive oil and lemon juice to help activate their enzymes.
- Sweet Vidalia Onions – Other onions are available all year round, but sweet Vidalia onions are springtime veggies at their finest. Onions are anti-inflammatory and their sulfur makes them great for asthma sufferers. You can put them on sandwiches and salads, or they can be baked for a tender side dish.
What are your favorite springtime veggies? How do you cook them so they are as pleasing to your taste buds as they are to your body?
Sign up and save
Entice customers to sign up for your mailing list with discounts or exclusive offers.