Do a Google search for “diet pills” and you will get over 16 million results. With so many to choose from, it can be difficult to know which ones are okay to take and which ones should be avoided at all costs.
To help make this process easier for you, here is a list of dietary supplements and various ingredients commonly found in them that have caused some serious health concerns for some of their users:
- Clenbuterol – A steroid used to treat horses with respiratory issues, some people take this supplement as it also promotes weight loss. The problem is that it hasn’t been deemed safe for human consumption.
- Emagrece Sim – Sometimes called the Brazilian Diet Pill, this particular option contains both uppers and downers, which can obviously create mood issues in its users.
- Ephedra – Ephedra comes in a variety of different names, including ma huang, ephedrine, and pseudoephedrine. Although it is touted for its ability to provide energy, it has also caused some users to experience heart issues, high blood pressure, stroke, and even death (which is why it is banned in the United States).
- Fenproporex – Fenproporex is a stimulant that has been linked to heart arrhythmias and sudden death.
- Sibutramine – Also a stimulant, this particular ingredient is said to increase your risk of heart attack, strokes, and cancer. It can also disturb your heart rhythm.
- Synephrine – Perhaps better known as bitter orange, synephrine has the same possible side effects as ephedra, along with a few more which include headaches, vomiting, fainting, and insomnia.
- Xiushentang – This weight loss supplement comes from Japan and, in addition to raising your risk of heart attack and stroke, it also puts you at risk of cancer.
These are just a few pills and ingredients to watch out for when selecting the diet pill for you. If there are any that you have taken that have caused adverse side effects, please share them below!