Part of the problem with dieting and losing weight is getting bored with eating the same things over and over again. After all, how many different ways can you have chicken before your taste buds start to yawn at the mere thought of another poultry laden meal?
Well, if you’re ready to expand your health food horizons, here are five rarely heard of but oh-so-healthy foods you may want to try:
- Arame – You’ll find this particular health food with other leafy greens in your local supermarket or health food store. It has a kale-like appearance and contains nutrients proven to give you stronger, healthier hair and a creamy smooth complexion. Eat it raw or put it in some of your regular dishes (as a spinach substitute, for instance) for added flavor and nutrition.
- Amaranth – This grain has a couscous look to it, but it has more fiber than wheat along with containing a high dose of body beneficial vitamins like C, A, and iron. Plus, it is easy to digest which makes it a great go-to food if you’re not feeling your best. Simmer it so it becomes a porridge-like breakfast, or toast them in a skillet until they pop, providing you with a healthy snack all day long.
- Kimchi – This fermented cabbage is extremely high in vitamin C, making it beneficial to your cardiovascular system as well as a boost for your immunity. Not to mention that it also helps you digest your food better thanks to the healthy bacteria it contains. Cook it like you would regular cabbage and you are good to go.
- Kohlrabi – It looks like a cross between a radish and a turnip, but this light purple and white striped veggie has a ton of potassium and C vitamins. Eat it raw or add it to stews and casseroles for a different taste and texture.
- Marmite – Although this sounds like some sort of vermin, marmite is actually a low calorie, low sugar spread that you can put on your favorite brand of whole wheat toast for a little bit of flavor. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals and is a great way to start your day, giving you a tiny dose of energy.
Give your taste buds a little pizzazz by trying foods like these. It’s time to break out of boredom and truly enjoy healthy eating!