Although depression affects you most mentally, it affects you physically as well. After all, it is hard to stay in shape when your energy is lagging and you have a hard time just putting one foot in front of the other.
So, if you feel a little (or a lot) down in the dumps, here are five tips and tricks to help you pull yourself back to happiness:
- Create a gratitude list. Create a comprehensive list of all of the people, things, and events that you are thankful for and refer to it any time you are feeling down. It is awfully hard to stay unhappy when you realize all of the blessings you have in your life.
- Go for a walk. You may not feel like getting out, but the exercise and fresh air works wonders for your mental health. You don’t have to set out to walk miles, as even short distances will help you release your not-so-pleasant mood.
- Stay away from alcohol. Drinking intensifies emotions, something you certainly don’t want to happen if you’re feeling blue. Avoid alcohol entirely until you are a little more chipper or you may find yourself on a downward spiral of unhappiness.
- Keep yourself in the present. Spend a lot of time mulling over regrets from yesterday or concerns over tomorrow and your depression will likely deepen. Therefore, you’re going to want to keep your mind in the present and you’ll notice that your mood will lighten fairly quickly.
- Talk to someone you trust. Sometimes it helps to give your sadness a voice. Share your feelings with a trusted friend, family member, or mentor and let them out. Plus, you may get some great feedback that helps you snap out of your mood and gets you to “live” again.
Depression is something everyone deals with from time to time. Keep yours to a minimum by following these five guidelines and it will leave almost as quickly as it came!