HOW TO MAKE RELAXATION WORK
Relaxation methods are important in everyone’s day-to-day life. Selecting our regular relaxation or meditation technique can be difficult but with regular practice you can put your body and mind at rest. It’s essential to release tension that builds up within your body, as locking problems away can hurt you and your body.
Pointers to help you feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Eliminate as many distractions as possible.eg, no interruptions from a phone or noise.
- Ensure a comfortable temperature and loosen clothing and take off shoes.
- Sit or lie in a comfortable position with natural light entering the room.
- Play some relaxing therapeutic music.
Muscle relaxation methods.
Normally this involves progressively relaxing muscles in the body one-by-one, working from your lower body, such as your toes, up into the upper body, finishing with relaxing the head. Through each stage talk to yourself, relax and feel the muscle becoming heavy, warm, relaxed and comfortable. Focus on deep breathing slowly throughout the relaxation period.
This is a simple home technique you can use to help yourself meditate. Just because you meditate dosen’t make you a hippie ! If everyone could meditate the world would become a peaceful place with less stress and problems.
Here is what you do;
- Sit quietly, close your eyes and focus on your breath for a few seconds .
- Every breath ‘out’ say the word silently to yourself.
- Repeat this word every time you breath out slowly and every time you find your thought wandering, just keep returning to the word.
- You can use any word you wish, its good to have a very simple word which has an easy meaning, like one, out, relax, breath, etc.
- Continue with word and breath until relaxed and finished.