How to caramelized onions
Caramelized onions go great in sandwiches, or are a great side to serve with baked foods like pies and quiches. This recipe will last six months and more.
it's a great way to use up any old onions and this recipe benefits from not costing much to make.
- 3 cloves Garlic - crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 White onions large - peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 cup Red wine
- 1 cup Jam Sugar
- 1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 30 ml Olive oil
- Place a pan on high heat and add olive oil, leave on heat for - 1minute
- Shallow fry the garlic , bay leaves and onions together until lightly golden - 3 minutes
- Add wine and reduce for 5 minutes
- Then add the remaining ingredients vinegar & sugar into the pan, reduce the heat by half and caramelize the sauce for 15 minutes
- Season well with salt and pepper, then remove from heat, place in jar and leave to cool in a cold place for 1-2 hours. After place in fridge and the onions will keep for up to 3-6 months
A method to increase your product self life is by sterilising the jar before you put the food inside. You can do this by placing you jars in boiling hot water, just leave for 1-2 minutes. Make sure the water is above 70 degrees .
Caramelized onions can be a great companion with your own home cooked meals, impressing people by finishing your own dish with a little chef's touch.
Sign up and save
Entice customers to sign up for your mailing list with discounts or exclusive offers.