A great old British dish, excellent for using up vegetables left over from previous meals.
- 500g potatoes, peeled chopped
- 1 cabbage shredded
- 75 butter
- 3 tbsp water
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- cracked pepper
- Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water, then drain
- Place them in a bowl with butter and mash, season well with pepper.
- place the cabbage in saucepan and cook gently for 12 minutesuntil tender. Mix the cabbage and mashed potato together.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the onion cook until golden then add soy sauce
- place potato and cabbage mixture and press down with the back of a wooden spoon to make a flat
- Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until golden brown, then place on a large plate. Add the remaining oil and cook again on the other side for 10 minutes.
- serve on plate
Remember you can add any cooked vegetables to this recipe.