Best Equipment for Running
Although running is a sport that doesn’t require any specialized machines (other than if you like to run on a treadmill versus being outdoors), there are still some pieces of equipment you are going to want to purchase to ensure that your foot-to-pavement routine is safe and effective. Here are just a few of the items that any serious runner should have:
- Proper running shoes. This is perhaps the single most important piece of equipment for any runner. Without the proper support, your feet aren’t going to carry you far and you risk some serious injury. To get the ones best for you, consult with a knowledgeable representative at a local running shoe store. They’ll help you pick out the right ones based on your feet in particular.
- Moisture wicking clothing. Although it is great to work up a sweat, you are going to want to keep your skin as dry as possible while hitting the trails. Choose performance clothing that wicks the moisture away and wear it on its own or as a base layer if you’re running in cold weather conditions.
- Heart monitor. To make sure you’re not overdoing it (or underdoing it), you’re going to want to monitor your heart rate during the course of your run. They have options that you wear like a watch or even ones that you wrap around your chest. Either way, keeping track of your heartbeat is critical to running safely.
- Water bottle. You need to avoid dehydration while you’re getting fit and since most trails don’t have water fountains along the way, you’re going to have to take your own. Buy one that fits on your waistband or in your running backpack and you’ll be able to keep yourself hydrated while getting in better shape.
- Snacks. If you are person who likes to run long distances, then you’re going to want to take a snack or two to replenish your energy. Choose something a little salty to replace the sodium you lose in your sweat and one that has protein to give your muscles added strength.
These five items are must-haves for any serious runner. If you don’t have them, get them and if you have them, use them. They’re there for a reason.