What is Fartlek training?
Fartlek is a Swedish word which means speed play. Fartlek training includes long distance running with intervals of slow running. It can be defined as jogging or sprinting, or jogging or walking for some people.
An example of fartlek training is jogging from one pole to another by setting a timer and covering a certain distance. The speed of the trainer can be different according to their wish.
Fartlek training, usually linked with running, happens to be one of the perfect training regimes for an athlete. Fartlek training can also be indulged in while doing any aerobic exercise. It won't only help in losing weight, but it's also very effective when it comes to strengthening your metabolism.
Starting with Fartlek training
Fartlek training can't be started immediately. If you are a beginner, you must follow certain steps to start.
- Warm up. This includes slow running for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Getting ready: You are to increase the speed of running to get ready.
- Running: Start fast running for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Interval: Recover yourself by taking a short interval break (slow running or jogging) for 5 minutes.
- Easy running: Take three or four quick steps.
- Full speed running: Increase the running slowly to full running.
- You should maintain a fast pace for 1 minute.
- Repeat the process to reach your desired goal.
How is Fartlek training ideal for weight loss?
Losing weight can be the biggest challenge of one's life, and it needs a lot of motivation. You can add different aerobic or non-aerobic exercises in your routine to lose weight. Fartlek training is one of the effective ways of losing weight quickly.
Fartlek training includes fast running which can burn your calories at quite a high rate. Fartlek training is very effective for the people who are looking to get rid of extra weight from their belly.
You can also do fartlek training on the treadmill if you are not willing to run outside. The faster or slow running with intervals can also boost up your stamina levels. You can switch your jogging to walking during the break intervals to lose weight.
Fartlek training is also very essential in improving your heart's health. It is a bit similar to the cardio exercises. Such training also keeps you focused as you're using your entire body. According to trainers, a 4 to 5 minutes sprint can burn more calories as compared to 60 minutes walking. That's why fartlek training is a good workout to opt for.
The 9 reasons why fartlek training is ideal for weight loss
As per trainers, there are many advantages of fartlek training if you want to lose weight.
- It can increase the resting metabolic rate after your fartlek exercise.
- It also improves the insulin sensitivity of the muscles.
- Helps to increases your stamina levels.
- It helps in improving your running speed.
- It may result in higher level of fat oxidation in your muscles.
- Fartlek training also helps in producing significant spikes in hormone levels to keep your mood elevated.
- It helps with post-exercise appetite suppression.
- It burns fat from your whole body simultaneously.
Fartlek training is beneficial for losing weight in a short amount of time. It also makes your muscles stronger. Enjoying fartlek training with music can help keep you energetic through your workout sessions.
If you are also looking forward to start fartlek training to lose weight, you must always start it after doing a warmup. Also, take your time with fartlek training. You need to help your body adapt to all of the running and intervals so you can prevent any risk of injury during your training.