If you are looking to lose belly fat, a SkiErg is a perfect upper body cardio machine for improved power, strength, and endurance. It is like an upright rowing machine that stimulates the motion of Nordic Skiing.
SkiErg mimics everyday actions of picking something up or bending down. It is a high-calorie burning exercise for a variety of fitness goals.
Here is why you should consider Ski Erg to burn belly fat!
Benefits of using SkiErg
Ski Erg gets your heart rate up, maximizing the chance of burning belly fat fast. It is excellent for anyone who wants to participate in high-impact sports like running and needs training that challenges the heart.
It uses a flywheel that traps air to increase resistance, while intensity depends on how hard you pull the handles, helping to burn fat faster. With SkiErg, you need your upper body to operate it.
If you can't do cardio due to an injury to the lower body, a SkiErg helps prevents your joints from feeling too much stress. It provides strength to the lower back, also.
How to use SkiErg Properly
Proper technique is what can help you get the most out of your workout. When using a SkiErg:
- Start with facing the machine and setting your feet approximately hips' width apart around 18 to 24 inches from the flywheel.
- Grab the handles, the white part of the handle should rest right around the base of your wrist.
- Then, bend your elbow at 90 degrees with your hands slightly above eye level.
- Next, to get the flywheel to start moving, drive the handles downwards by hinging the hips before bending your knees.
- After each pull, have your knees bend, and arms extended along your hips.
- As you get back to the position, activate the glutes, push your hips to full extension, and return your arms to start over again.
The purpose of such a movement is to create a continuous fluid motion. For the Classic Skiing technique, alternate the arm pulls. It will help if you keep some bend in the pulling arm for a stronger position.
A sitting posture isolates the upper body and the core for an alternative workout; this could be great for people who are recovering from lower-body injuries.
Workout for beginners
If you are a beginner, you will likely have to go through a trial and error to find your rhythm. Do ten rounds of 100m sprints with 30 seconds of rest in between each. Ideally, you would want to complete the workout under 35 seconds. You can make your workout harder by merely playing with the machine's damper, increasing distance, or time.
Don’t forget to activate your abdominal muscles by doing some warm-up exercises to prevent wear and tear of muscles. Once finished with the workout, do some cool-down exercises to bring your heart rate back to normal as well as to enhance recovery.
The five common errors while using SkiErg
- Mistake #1: Pulling the handle with straight arms and not bending the knees. The correct way is to engage the core and to bend the knees. Start with the arms in a flex position just above eye level.
- Mistake # 2: Pulling your arms too far back. The right way is to finish the pull when your hands are near your thighs.
- Mistake # 3: Pulling the handles way back until the cord stops. This means you are going too low. Going slow will prevent proper momentum.
- Mistake #4: Spending a long time standing up. The proper way is to engage your legs and stand up as quickly as you pull down.
- Mistake # 5: Pushing the hips back in the wrong position. The buttocks need to be in a seated position.
Wrapping It Up:
It is vital to know how to properly use a SkiErg to get the most out of your workout. Using any exercising equipment poorly can result in injury. Also, unlike other popular cardio machines, a SkiErg is more upper body specific.
So, it is an excellent addition to your fitness regime if you are into losing belly fat and strengthening your upper body.