If you’re a fitness enthusiast, a rowing machine or rower is undoubtedly an excellent addition to your collection of gym equipment at home. The best thing about it is that rowers may help engage your core muscles, build endurance, and maximize your workout session without putting too much stress on your joints. This is why rowing machines are ideal for everyone, regardless of their fitness level and age.
When looking for a rowing machine, you’ll find a variety of options in the market. Each of these comes with different features and has pros and cons. Reading helpful resources like Aviron rower review and other similar sources can also make a difference in choosing wisely.
Whether you’re a first-time buyer or searching for a newer model, here are the things you should look for in a rowing machine:
Your rowing session may vary depending on your preferences. However, if you often spend hours on your workout, one of the things to look for in a rowing machine is the comfort it can offer.
An uncomfortable rower won’t only ruin your workout experience, but it may not also allow you to spend more extended sessions. If you don’t want that to happen, find a rowing machine that guarantees comfort.
Typically, the best rower is designed with breathable materials which don’t heat up quickly. It means you can enjoy longer sessions without experiencing any discomfort.
Features are one of the essential things to look for in rowers. Since everyone is searching for something unique and varies in terms of fitness goals, you should ensure your rower has the following features:
- Ergonomically-Designed Seat: A good rower must not make you feel uncomfortable. For this reason, find a unit that comes with an ergonomically-designed seat and an extra layer of cushion.
- Rail: Rowing machines are designed differently. While others have a double rail profile, some only have a single rail. This rail is the bar on which your rowing seat slides along. Often, a rower with a double rail profile is more durable.
- Console: With today’s advancement in technology, most rowers feature an advanced console. Unlike basic consoles, advanced ones include pre-set programs, calorie counters, and heart rate monitoring. Others even allow you to join a virtual race and track your session through fitness apps.
- Foot Straps: Most consumers often take foot straps for granted, but these features must be one of the things you should check in a rowing machine. The best rowers have foot straps that can accommodate small or large feet. If they don’t fit comfortably around your feet, they may affect your rowing technique negatively. On the contrary, if your feet are too big for the foot straps, you might not be able to row properly. Foot straps must maintain a snug fit around your feet throughout your workout. Once they’re loose, they may distract your session.
- Handlebars: Another essential feature is the handlebar. It must have an anti-slippery coating so that the handles won’t slip into your hands once your hands get sweaty. Other advanced rowing machines even feature a heart rate sensor in the handles, so you don’t need to purchase a chest strap.
These are some of the features you should look for in a rowing machine. If you prefer a unit that matches well with your home décor and is easy to use, choose modern rowers with smart features.
If you’re planning to build a gym at home, you must look for the affordability of your preferred rowing machine to get the best value for your money. Even if you can afford any price range, you should take time to compare the costs to avoid overspending. Besides, the most expensive isn’t always the best. You must balance the price with value and quality to choose the right rower.
With that said, making a price comparison may be handy before you invest in any rower. You can do this by listing the rowing machines you’re interested in and filtering them depending on what’s worth it for you. To get the best results, head to the nearest gym and try a rowing machine to know which qualities and features are deal-breakers. This way, you can select the rower that’s worth spending for.
Rowing machines differ in size, so you have to look for one with space-saving capabilities. This is especially true if you’re living in a small place. The good news is that several rowing machines are designed with convenient storage in mind. These units can be folded if you don’t intend to leave them in the same area the entire day.
To make the right purchase, take accurate measurements of your space before shopping around. Not only can it make the selection process easy, but it’ll also help you ensure that your chosen rower fits your designated area.
Every rowing machine offers a varying amount of resistance. Other models even allow users to adjust the resistance level based on their preference.
When searching around for a rowing machine, choose the model that offers your needed resistance level. For example, if you want to feel like you’re rowing on the water, you can select a rower with an air resistance mechanism. It also offers the smooth rowing experience that most people want.
Depending on your needs, always remember that the type of resistance is a personal choice. So, opt for the unit with a resistance mechanism you’re comfortable with.
A rowing machine's weight capacity is the other thing to look for. Not all rowers can accommodate a variety of weight ranges. If you’re heavy, opt for a rowing machine that can accommodate your weight.
Checking the unit’s weight capacity may also help you determine whether your floor can handle it, especially if your home is old or you live in an apartment. So, before you purchase any rowing machine you prefer, verify its maximum weight capacity and overall weight to make the most out of your rowing session without dealing with any inconvenience.
Buying a rowing machine doesn’t need to be complicated. Regardless of your needs, there’s always a rowing machine perfect for your unique workout needs. All you need is to keep the above things to look for in mind when shopping around to make the selection process manageable. Moreover, remember not to focus solely on the price and pay attention to quality to get the best value for investment.