What is MetCon Fitness and What You Need to Know
What is MetCon?
Eating in deficit along with working out, but you’re still not losing weight? Perhaps you should look into MetCon. Many people in the fitness world are opting for the MetCon workout for the desired health-related results. For those who don’t know, MetCon stands for Metabolic Conditioning.
This approach to exercise helps to improve the metabolism and the energy output of a person. Usual exercises burn calories, but MetCon has proven itself to be effective when it comes to burning the body’s fat content while maintaining overall muscle mass and encouraging fitness from head to toe.
The Mechanism of MetCon
MetCon is a combination regimen that targets multiple energy systems in a single workout. According to certain fitness instructors, the goal of such a workout is to help improve the delivery of nutrients so the human body can work more efficiently.
MetCon targets the body's three main metabolic pathways – phosphagen, glycolytic, and oxidative.
Here’s a quick overview of these energy systems:
- Phosphagen: The phosphagen system produces energy in the form of ATP (which is short for Adenosine Tri-phosphate). ATP is used for highly intense activities.
- Glycolytic: The glycolytic system starts functioning after the phosphagen system has provided enough of a role. This system produces ATP quickly for longer activities to aid with providing energy to the body for a span of one to three minutes.
- Oxidative: As stated in the name, the oxidative system requires oxygen for undergoing endurance activities, such as running marathons.
Take note; all 3 systems have to work in sync to improve your overall performance and metabolic rate.
The Different Types of MetCon workouts:
- EMOM: The famous acronym stands for Every Minute On the Minute. It’s all about keeping the workout interesting and sharpening your
You will need to complete a particular amount of reps on either one or a series of exercises every minute on the minute. This means that the quicker you get the exercises done, the more rest you will have in between.
For example, let’s go for 10 rounds of 5 burpees. If it ends up taking you around 30 seconds to complete the burpees, you will have 30 seconds of rest before you’ll need to start the next one. But if it takes you 50 seconds to complete a burpee, you will only have 10 seconds of rest before the next one!
- AMRAP: AMRAP stands for As Many Reps As Possible. When talking about AMRAP, you will need to complete as many reps as you can in a given time. How many burpees can you complete in a minute or two?
This is a great way to challenge yourself as you can try to beat your previous record each time you workout.
Here is an example of an EMOM workout:
- Start with 8 squat clean thrusters.
- Now do 8 chin-ups.
- Go for 16 lunges.
- Do 8 push-ups with renegade row.
- Now perform 16 box jumps.
- You’ll need to do 16 kettlebell swings.
- And rest!
Try to complete 6 rounds!
The Benefits of a MetCon Workout:
MetCon workouts are advantageous because they provide higher strain endurance, dynamic movement, and improved strength. In short, they work your entire body. These workouts are beneficial because they improve the aerobic efficiency of every muscle. MetCon workouts help to increase your levels of VO2 (an index of the body's efficiency at producing work).
The most important thing for you to keep in mind while creating a MetCon workout for yourself is to strive for balance. And remember, don’t overdo yourself. If this is the first time you’re going for a MetCon workout, do consult a trainer.
Due to the intense nature of MetCon workouts, not knowing how to go about it properly can lead to injury. And we don’t want that.
Sign up and save
Entice customers to sign up for your mailing list with discounts or exclusive offers.