It seems like an easy task roasting vegetables, but it's not as easy as you think, there're often many problems getting in between you and perfect roast vegetables. Here are the basic and most important things to remember when roasting vegetables;
Size is important when roasting vegetables, different sizes will mean that the vegetables will cook unevenly. This will leave you with a mixture of raw vegetables and over cooked vegetables on the same tray. It's important not to mix up your size's, cutting all the vegetables the same size will take a little time but this will cook them even. If you want to roast your vegetables faster then all you need to do is chop them smaller.
Don't use too much oil
Using too much oil can often lose the goodness in the taste of the vegetables. All they need is a coating before roasting.
You need to season all your vegetables with salt and pepper, this will give you an extra sharpness in taste and also this will help crisp up the outsides of you vegetables. Adding herbs and cloves of garlic to your vegetables can infuse them with a great taste.
Idea for roasting winter vegetables
All you need is an oven, a selection of vegetables, oil and seasoning. Please find a detailed process below the for preparing and cooking a medley of vegetables, serving roughly 4-6 persons.
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- 3 Onions
- 2 leeks
- 100g cheery tomato
- 1/2 pumpkin skinned
- 3 parsnips
- 30ml olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary, thyme or mixed herbs (Any one of these)
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven 190 c for 5 minutes
- Peel all the and dice all the vegetables into small roughly chopped cubes of the same size
- Place into baking tray and cover with oil, season with herbs, salt and pepper place into the oven
- cook for 15 minutes, take out give a good shake and put back in on high heat for 6 minutes.
- Tags: gluten free, healthy recipe, Healthy Recipes, home, Home Bakery, kids, vegan, vegetables, vegetarian, winter recipe