- 8 ounces (225 grams) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (plus extra for coating)
- Optional: toppings such as chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or sprinkles
1. Place the chopped dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Remove from heat.
3. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let it sit for a minute to soften the chocolate.
4. Gently stir the chocolate and cream together until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
5. Add the softened butter and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture. Stir until the butter is melted and fully incorporated.
6. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture for about 2 hours or until it is firm enough to handle.
7. Once the mixture is firm, remove it from the refrigerator. Using a spoon or a small cookie scoop, scoop out portions of the mixture and roll them into small balls between your palms.
8. Place the cocoa powder in a shallow bowl. Roll each truffle ball in the cocoa powder until it is evenly coated. You can also roll some truffles in other toppings of your choice, such as chopped nuts or shredded coconut.
9. Place the coated truffles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
10. Once all the truffles are coated, return them to the refrigerator to chill and firm up for another 30 minutes to 1 hour.
11. Once the truffles are fully chilled, they are ready to be enjoyed! Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
These chocolate truffles make a delightful treat for special occasions or as homemade gifts. They can be enjoyed on their own or alongside a cup of coffee or tea. Feel free to experiment with different flavors by adding a touch of liqueur, spices, or extracts to the chocolate mixture before chilling.