How to Start Cycling for Fitness
Are you interested in cycling to get into shape and not quite sure where, or how, to start? Do you like the idea of pedaling your way to fitness and want some help to make sure you go about it in a way that promotes safety and gets results?
Get the Right Bike
Obviously, the first thing you need when it comes to cycling is a bicycle. But, how do you pick the right one for you? Here are some things to consider:
- Seat height, tilt and cushioning
- Handlebar height and positioning
- Whether the bike is appropriate for the terrain you intend to ride on
The best thing you can do is talk to a professional, like an avid cyclist or someone at a store that sells bikes, and let them help determine what is appropriate for you and your riding style. Even if you’re not planning on cycling for any reason other than fitness, it will be time well spent as the right bike can either help you reach your goals or hurt you in the process.
Other Necessary Gear
Once you have the bike, you’re going to want to consider what other gear you need to make your cycling experience beneficial. Some options include:
- Helmet, a must for maximum bicycle safety
- Shorts that fit tight (which stops chaffing) and have extra cushion in the groin area for maximum comfort on long bike rides
- Reflective vest so you can be easily seen by traffic and other riders
- Water bottle to stay hydrated
Once you have everything you need, it’s time to start cycling. If you’re new to cycling, you may want to stay on level paths that are paved for an easy riding experience. As you get more familiar and comfortable, you can start to try new things such as dirt paths or ones that have lots of hills and curves.
Cycling is a great way to stay in shape. It works your cardiovascular system and lower body muscles at the same time giving you the best of both workouts.